Tuesday, November 11, 2008

AN EVENING WITH ME
Songs for Lovers
By
Gene Di Vita, M.D.
This book of poetry will soon be published as an e book by Eloquent Books. Look for further iinformation on this post. I am enclosing the preface to the book to introduce you to the love songs and other poems you may enjoy alone or share with your lover.
PREFACE

Being a physician who has practiced psychiatry for over forty years, I have been privileged to hear about the love stories of many people as well as living my own tales, so I began to write the following poems and shared a few with loved ones. I have recently retired and am pursuing a lingering passion for writing. Now, I have revisited these and want them available to all those entering the wonderful, risky world of love.Love is a very desired and sought after experience without one knowing the full range of emotions that accompany it. In the midst of love are euphoria, excitement, passion, and constantly wanting to be in the presence of your lover. However, there is much angst, fear, threats of loss, separation, and abandonment coinciding with the exhilaration.The question arises: “Is the ecstasy of falling in love worth the ever-present risk of the despair of losing the love?” Most do not consider the question at the onset and proceed to fall in love. Only after lost love does one question this risk of falling in love again. Many lovers get stuck on this question and never resume. Others continue to pursue the elusive love, but more tenuously, while some brave hearts leap again and again into that unknown abyss that always welcomes.
Most of my work has been with the aftermath of losing loved ones through death, divorce, falling out of love, love moving on to other people, and mostly unknown reason regarding how loss of love or change of heart comes about. These love poems and stories attempt to express the wonders of love along with the risk so that lovers may identify and understand their experiences in the world of love. By no means is this the total picture of love nor will it be identical to your love song, as love is similar and different, universal and individual.

Hopefully, lovers will read these songs to themselves and to their lovers which can enhance their own experiences of intimacy and open explorations for more wonderful moments of sharing your love.

1 comment:

eathrider said...

I have learned--I think-- is that love is not a function of the will. I say that because I don't love some people I wish I did and I love some people I wish I didn't. Also, love is from the inside out not visa versa. I also believe the saying that it is better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all.
I went through a divorce that just about killed me. I cried every day for a year it seems until I litterally ran out of tears. One day I just stopped crying. However my emotions still ran the gammet and I found that writting about them seemed to help the suffering. I still have some of them in bits and scraps of paper. I will try and find them and tack a few onto your blog if that's ok.
I can remember parts of some. I was/am struck with 2 verses in the scripture--one refers to a "cloud of witnesses" in heaven that watches us here on earth as we struggle. The other refers to the angles rejoicing over the salvation of one sinner than that of one just man. During this time of my life I had taken up dirt bike motorcycle racing. My verse refers to that expeirence. It goes something like this:
Do the Angles look and see,
Do they see me when I'm racing,
Do they see me when I crash and fall,
Do they see me when I get up tired bruised and cherryed
Or are they like every one else and keep their eyes only on the front runners
and miss those behind who finish the race if at all after the crowd is gone.
got more if you are interested